Here is my feedback about my experience with AXA flexi protect direct insurance (Metrobank called me about this offer probably because they call all Metrobank Gold MasterCard holders):
1) Fishy method of inviting Metrobank credit card holders: Since I normally ignore unknown numbers on my mobile phone (a person can send a prior text message or explaining the need for the call after I missed it), they kept on calling the office phone for days instead.
2) Efficient application – no need for signature and documents. My voice was enough to validate the entire process. Of course, they have to do their best to attract more customers.
3) Fast charging to your credit card, but very late delivery of the policy.
I would have understood if they happened almost at the same time, but it didn’t happen that way. I was billed in the cut off just a week after the phone call, but the policy did not arrive. Because of this, three weeks after the phone call (or two weeks after they charged on my credit card), I decided to send them a message (through my Metrobank Direct account) asking to have my insurance cancelled instead. The policy arrived (at last!) just days after I sent my request to terminate my insurance.
4) Almost no barrier to entry (as stated above)… but there are a lot of barriers to exit. After a lot of follow-up e-mails (I have the impression that not immediately responding to e-mails and not forwarding it to the right person immediately is a delaying tactic), I eventually received a response:
Dear Mr. De Guzman:
Thank you for your email.
We wish to inform you that for us to process your request for the cancellation of AXA Insurance, a signed letter of request is requirement. You may send the accomplished signed letter as an attachment to your email or fax it at AXA fax number 844 2317.
Moreover, please note that cancellation process takes 30 days from the date of receipt of the signed letter.
Please note that we are replying with a coded format. This initiative aims to provide information security and protection to our customers.
We highly encourage you to indicate only the nature of your concern in the email subject and the last 10 digits of your card number in the body of your email when sending emails from Metrobank Card.
Should you have questions or require further assistance, please email us. You may also call our 24-Hour Customer Service Hotline 8700 700, our domestic toll free number 1800 1888 5775 or our international toll free number international access code +800 8700 0707.
This case is recorded under CIMS issue number 4278420 .
Very truly yours,
Boots S. Lopez
Metrobank Card Corporation
A joint venture of Metrobank and ANZ
(A Finance Company) [MCC]
The MCC Center
6778 Ayala Avenue, Makati City
– inefficiency #1: I have to send a signed letter now, even if it was not necessary during the application
– inefficiency #2: 30 days to process a cancellation (so that I will reach another billing cycle and they can collect a premium for another month)
I replied to that e-mail with the following and did not get a response even after three follow up messages:
Hi,1) Cecille Grimaldo talked to me over the phone last March 30 and I was charged as early as the April 9 cut off. If the processing is that fast, I do not agree with the condition that 30 days should be given as an allowance to reverse the process.2) I agreed to the offer over the phone without having to send a document (a signed document even), and I hope that the same efficiency will be offered during the cancellation.
3) I agreed to have this insurance while assuming that I would receive the policy first before I am being charged. However, it was delivered only after I requested to have the insurance cancelled.
Again, I would like my e-mail to serve as a formal request for the cancellation of the insurance.
Because of my bad experience with this AXA-Metrobank insurance, I would not recommend it to others. I am taking this as a potential sign of more unfair practices and inefficient claiming process.